I'm curious to hear people's experiences with allowing (or disallowing) students to use copy and paste in code when learning as beginners.
I feel like there are two kinds of copy/pasting.
- Copying code you found somewhere in docs or on the internet and pasting it into your code
- Utilizing copy paste with your own code to write similar code more quickly
I see some upsides and downsides to both, so I'm wondering what other instructors have learned.
- Upside to allowing it. It's a useful tool for moving quickly and everyone who writes code professionally would use it.
- Downside: students who are beginners could really use the practice typing everything out
- Downside: it makes it much easier to copy code you find somewhere without needing to understand it.
What are other instructors' experiences and insights? Do you allow your students to use copy and paste?