When I was learning to program I was building a "DVD Rental" application for the kiosk that would store information about disks, who borrowed them and when they had to return them. Having a simple-to-understand task motivated me to build an app and show to the owners of the kiosk.
Now I'm assisting a web app programming school with helping to design curriculum and I'd like to include some practical apps into the course.
I want students to develop business thinking. New SaaS idea? App to help people. App to help businesses.
I already have some app ideas but I am always looking for more. What was the first app you've built?
- Our course is focused on business web apps, so no games.
- Tasks should be simple to explain and familiar to students (14-18 years old)
- Real-life application or attempt to solve a problem.
- Focus on "client requirements" and not "implementation"
- Simple tasks, limited to 5 data entity types (or tables).
You are welcome to use any of those apps to teach students about data models, databases, relations, UI / persistence. (Note: we use Agile UI platform)